Volunteers have won high praise for their efforts after helping to raise almost £160,000 in just over a year for hospice coffers.
A special thank you event was staged at St Teresa’s Hospice, Darlington, for helpers who collectively gave up more than 4,000 hours of their own time.
St Teresa’s Hospice relies on volunteers and commercial, company and individual support to help raise the £3m a year needed to maintain services for the people of Darlington, South Durham and North Yorkshire.
Chief Executive Jane Bradshaw told guests: “You are the people who stand out in the rain; you greet people with a smile and a collecting tin; you listen to people sharing very emotional stories; you sell raffle tickets everywhere, from a local club to shopping centres and the races.
“You are out all seasons looking after our collection boxes and keeping the box holders happy; you collect Christmas trees after the holidays and sell Easter egg tickets; you marshal at the Bark in the Park and Colour Run events; you help us at the Moonlight and Memories walk and Christmas Cracker concert and everything in between.”
Mrs Bradshaw outlined how proceeds are used:
- Providing free of charge palliative and end of life care in Darlington, South Durham and North Yorkshire
- Supporting community hospice services including Hospice at Home, volunteer visiting, a Rapid Response Team, which became the first in the country to be listed in the directory of services accessible via 999 and 111
- Funding a range of day hospice clinics and activities
- Providing 24/7 in-patient care in a purpose-built unit
- Supporting a raft of complementary therapies, family support and counselling services.
Mrs Bradshaw added: “Because of you we are able to offer round the clock services when people need them most. You make a difference to people at some of their most distressing times. I am so grateful for the opportunity to say a massive thank you to you all.”
Anyone wishing to volunteer their time for St Teresa’s Hospice should visit https://www.darlingtonhospice.org.uk/volunteer/ or call 01325 254321 for more information.